Friday 19 March 2021

Matheson Lake with Charlie

 It had been ages since we had been to Matheson Lake, so long that Charlie didn't even remember the place at all! My grandparents brought me here many times as a child. They brought me to all sorts of places around the island actually, I'm so grateful for that. They made childhood bearable! 



I have this quite vivid memory of my grandma staying back on the little beach with my brother while my grandfather and I went to swim. Actually I think she was tucked up by a tree (she avoided the sun because it ages the skin she always said) and she was yelling after my grandfather as he and I hit the water and started swimming something about the the distance to the little island being too far for me. Well, my grandfather often listened to my grandmother, but in this case he just called back for her not to worry. I have no idea how old I was, but maybe 9 or 10? Anyway my grandfather always told me that when we were swimming and I got tired, just to rest my hand on his shoulder and that would allow me a little rest til I could start swimming again. He was a powerful swimmer, very strong and could go incredibly long distances. We not only made it to the island no problem but we swam around the entire thing first before stopping to rest on the island itself. The island no longer seems as far as away at it once did!


Charlie and I had a nice walk here, the entire lake can be walked around but we just walked a portion and sat and relaxed.






This photo is my grandparents at a beach when they were very young. Handsome couple huh?




Thanks for reading!  
Lotus

 


 

#mathesonlake #vancouverisland

No comments:

Post a Comment

A note from myself.

  I realized quite soon after starting this blog that I am terrible at it! If I head out nearly every day, and I come home tired, I just don...