Wednesday 10 March 2021

Jordan River Power Station & Botanical Beach

 Today my friend and I drove up to Jordan River to look for the abandoned power plant. We had the coordinates so it was quite easy to find. Yay for good planning! I am trying to be more organized as I have oft spent far too much time wandering around unable to find whatever it was the mission to find that day! Walking through the trails and climbing over a massive fallen tree, we first only noticed a building to the side that was covered in graffiti. Going inside we were struck by what a very cool place it was, all set up for skateboarding and it had a really good vibe.

                                                          




Waiting for Fae to finish up taking photos inside I was looking around outside and lo and behold........THE POWER PLANT!


It really seemed to rise quite glorious above the trees, despite it's crumbling appearance. The powerplant was "built in 1909, was on the east side of the river, a grand structure in it's glory days, three hundred and forty-one feet in length, with a front façade of massive windows."(1)








These next two pieces are absolutely stunning in real life, photos could not do them justice, particularly with the sunlight streaming in the colours just don't show their true brilliance in a photo. Just take a look at how gorgeous this artwork is!


The floor is caved in at some places, other places you could see right in to the below area which I'm not kiddin' was quite creepy!

















In this little house was a couple of artists doing their thing, so of course I popped in to snoop and to say hello. According to the one guy these buildings may be being torn down in the near future, so it was good to get out there to see it before that happens. There is something so neat about abandoned buildings being taken over by nature and graffiti artists, and it's a real shame when they get torn down. We met another couple folks that said they had come here many times over the years, back when there was still two floors and you could explore the tunnels below as well! That must have been a blast! 


                                                          Bye bye from the Pink Bunny. 
                                         Intrepid adventurer Fae and her beaver buddy!
                                      Next stop (after grabbing coffees) was Botanical Beach!
                                                                 Angel's Wings Mushrooms?

Not sure if this is just weathering or a fish fossil. It is somewhat reminiscent of a fish fossil I found here a year back, though may just be weathering.
                                                     This is the fossil I found last year in this same location.

How beautiful is this?! A natural made mortar and a couple days later I actually found a perfect natural made pestle too. I love the vein of quartz running through it. 
Just for comparison, this is an ancient mortar and pestle found during work in the 1970s on the West Coast Trail. You can see how this first rock made me think right away it was a natural made mortar. 

                                                             Fossilized wood.

 
                                            Nature is amazing. This rock is so fantastic! 

Another rock that may have a fossil, or again, possible weathering. Though for this one I am pretty sure it's a partial fossil. As well, a chiton, small bit of a worm tube fossil attached to a small bit of coral, a tiny piece of sea urchin, a barnacle and some sea snail shells.

                                         A raven came by to quite vocally wish us well on our journey home.
                                 View between Botanical Beach and our next stop......
I'm pretty sure that Fae and I never pass The Renfrew Pub without stopping, it's like some sort of beacon pulling us..haha. They have wonderful fries and good beer too! This whale is carved on a big stump off their patio.

Hopefully one day we can do the trip out to the Jordan River Diversion Dam, I would like to have done that this trip, but what I read the road is quite bad and my car is not up for those sort of risks. My dream is a 4 wheel drive jeep, so I'm trying hard to manifest that and then our adventures will be even better!

Thanks for reading!

Lotus




(1)https://www.sookenewsmirror.com/community/the-jordan-river-hydro-flume/


#jordanriver #botanicalbeach #vancouverisland #britishcolumbia #canada #powerplant #ruins #graffiti #abandonedbuilding #portrenfrew #refrewpub

No comments:

Post a Comment

A note from myself.

  I realized quite soon after starting this blog that I am terrible at it! If I head out nearly every day, and I come home tired, I just don...